Saturday, August 8, 2009

Roasted chicken, veggies, and rice

Tonight we had Justin and Megan over for dinner. They fed us some really good pork chops a couple of weeks ago and we wanted to repay the favor. It was kind of a hectic night to have company, however. At the last minute we realized the whole family was going to be home, which meant instead of feeding just the four of us we could be feeding up to ten people. So, at the last minute we ran out to get some Rice-A-Roni and the bacon we had forgotten. On the way back Justin called to say they were there already, and then when we got home we were also supposed to help unload a bunch of junk Jackie's dad brought down from their rental up in Reno, including beds and a fridge. Luckily I had the smarts to tell them that the unloading could wait until I was able to prepare the chicken and get it in the oven. Go figure, when I was done they had it all done anyway.


Our meal consisted of some recipes I saw on the Food Network last year some time. I had tried them both out and loved them, so I knew they would be a hit with everyone else. The main piece came from Guy Fieri, called Bud's Beer Can Chicken. I had to switch it up, however, because I really didn't feel like buying a case of non-alcoholic beer when I only needed one can. Instead, we shoved a lemon and an orange inside the whole chicken and set her on some onions and juice. I also stuffed freshly chopped sage and zest under the breast skin and seasoned the whole thing with salt and pepper. Then, we covered it all up with bacon slices. On the side we roasted zucchini, squash, and mushrooms and cooked up some chicken and garlic rice. It was really filling and everything went together pretty well.

The only problem with the food was timing. The chicken took much longer than we had expected, so the other things got cold while we waited. Then, when I started cutting pieces off to serve, I found that the inside parts hadn't quite finished cooking, so I had to put the dumb thing back in the oven. Luckily, there was just enough that had cooked for everyone there. We ate and then did some relaxing while racing Mario Kart Wii and killing each other on the new 007 game.

At some point in the middle of all that, I took the time to make the other TV favorite. I made Tyler Florence's Amaretto Brownies. I used almond extract in place of the liquor and sliced almonds instead of walnuts. I've made these things at least ten times, and I swear they are practically fool-proof. They come out beautiful every time and have to be one of the best brownies I've ever eaten. Give 'em a try, you'll never buy a brownie mix again.


After all the hustle and work and gluttony, the highlight of the night came from Jackie, my wife. We had cleaned all the dishes and were sitting around just talking with her mom. I came upstairs to do this post and some other things and she stayed downstairs. I guess they were feeling the baby move and actually got to see her pushing on her stomach and moving to the other side. Looks like our little girl has already inherited her daddy's taste for good food; she's so excited about it she's running circles in there. I can't wait to meet her.

2 comments:

  1. Can you post the brownie recipe or does the infringe on copyright laws? If not maybe you can supply the link. I would like to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of those dishes looked good. I do not think it would be a copyright infringement if you were to add your name to it with those changes you made. Post it up man.

    ReplyDelete